Nordic Tales: Folktales from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Denmark (Nordic Folklore and Stories, Illustrated Nordic Book for Teens and Adults) (Traditional Tales) (Hardcover)
Nordic Tales is a collection of 16 traditional tales from the enchanting world of Nordic folklore.
Translated and transcribed by folklorists in the 19th century, these stories are at once magical, hilarious, cozy, and chilling.
Welcome to a world of mystical adventure—where trolls haunt the snowy forests, terrifying monsters roam the open sea, a young woman journeys to the end of the world, and a boy proves he knows no fear.
• Offers a fascinating view into Nordic culture
• The tales come alive alongside bold, contemporary art
• Part of the popular Tales series, featuring Tales of Japan, Celtic Tales, Tales of India, and Tales of East Africa
Nordic Tales will enthrall fans of fairytales and captivate those interested in the rich history of Nordic culture.
Ulla Thynell's glowing contemporary illustrations accompany each tale, conjuring dragons, princesses, and the northern lights.
• A visually gorgeous book that will be at home on the shelf or on the coffee table
• A perfect gift for fairy tale and folklore lovers, fans of Nordic culture, people of Nordic ancestry, collectors of illustrated classics, and bibliophiles looking for a comforting wintertime read
• Add it to the collection of books like D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire, Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, and Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes by Edith Hamilton.
People who love Greek mythology, roman mythology, Chinese mythology, Celtic mythology, and folklore and cultural studies from around the globe will love Nordic Tales.
About the Author
Ulla Thynell is an artist, illustrator, and graphic designer based in Helsinki, Finland.
Holiday Gift Pick "Does anyone ever outgrow fairy tales? "Nordic Tales" and "Tales of Japan" are the latest installments in Chronicle's handsomely illustrated series of traditional folk stories. It's the sort of volume that will age with readers."
"Anthologies like this are magical. The beautiful pictures make the dark nights seem bearable, and possibly even a bit special. Reading this every evening made me want to curl up in front of a log fire and sink deeper into the words. The perfect present for a winter celebration, or the perfect treat to ease yourself into the cold weather."
Holiday gift pick "...filled with fascinating folklore from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Denmark."